Lafayette St. Waterloo, IA 50703 phone: 319.234.7589
Providing a safe, warm and caring environment for school-age children has long been the foundation of the YWCA’s childcare programming. The pillars are Y’s Kids and Summer Daze.
During the school year, Y’s Kids provides care before and after school at nine Waterloo elementary schools, plus sites in Cedar Falls and Hudson. Summer Daze is the all day program held through the summer.
The YWCA childcare team also works with Tri-County Head Start to create Wrap-Around Service that offers all-day care to Head Start participants.
“Playdays” for Christmas and Spring Break, conferences, etc. are another service provided. Advance registration for Playdays is required.
Each of these childcare programs offers positive adult role models, educational opportunities and fun for the children. Financial Assistance is based on household size and income and participation by youth with special needs is encouraged.
Y's Kids - Before and After School
Y's Kids before and after school program is designed to meet the needs of parents whose schedules do not coincide with their children's school day. Although there will be time for homework and academic assistance, Y's Kids is a time for the children to unwind, relax, and be creative, and enjoy the company of friends in a safe and friendly environment with positive caring adult role models. Y's Kids programs are in compliance with the State of Iowa child care regulations and the State Fire Marshal. Y's Kids staff are certified in First Aid, CPR, Universal Precautions and are trained as mandatory reporters of child abuse. Y's Kids staff have all successfully completed a State of Iowa Criminal Record check as well as a national fingerprinting process.
Please feel free to print off a Financial Assistance application.
Registration Dates for
YWCA Y’s Kids Before and After School Child Care Program
The YWCA dates to register for Y’s Kids Before and After School Child Care program for 2022 – 2023 will be posted soon! Registration dates/times will be by the school.
Space is limited. When a program becomes full, a waiting list will be established in the order received.
How To Register / Enroll
· Registration must be done in person at the YWCA on the date and time assigned to your child’s school
· Staff will be there to review your packet and direct you to the front desk where you will complete the registration process.
· Fully completed registrations are accepted on a first come, first served basis at the YWCA
· Do Not Mail or Email Registration Forms – mailed or emailed registrations will not be accepted.
Please contact the YWCA for space availability at 319-234-7589.
· A $20 registration fee and a $20 YWCA annual membership fee (per child) are due at time of registration. These fees are not refundable.
· You must present your fully completed Childcare Information Form and any other required documents before we can accept your registration.
· Registration for Preschool students also requires a copy of the most current immunization record and physical for each preschool child.
· Financial assistance forms must be fully completed and include all required documentation before your application will be accepted and reviewed.
· Families using an alternate funding source such as DHS, JPTA, Head Start, etc., must have written authorization for services before the time of registration.
Registration forms are available at the front desk.
You can also contact either Aimee or Samantha and request that a registration packet be sent to you.
Aimee (319) 234-7589 ext. 220 firstname.lastname@example.org or
Samantha (319) 234-7589 ext. 221 email@example.com
Again, please complete all necessary forms and bring them with you along with all additional required documentation.
Please follow our Facebook page and check our website regularly for any updates on registration!
Y’s Kids Locations:
School Age (Kindergarten and older)
· The YWCA provides before and after school care for school-age children at Highland, Irving, Kingsley, Kittrell, Lincoln, Lou Henry, and Lowell Elementary Schools in Waterloo; at Hudson Elementary; and at Hansen, Lincoln, and North Cedar Elementary Schools in Cedar Falls. Only after school child care is offered at Cunningham Elementary in Waterloo.
· The YWCA provides before-and-after preschool childcare at the following Waterloo elementary schools: Lowell, Highland, and Kittrell. Only after preschool childcare is offered at Cunningham Elementary. Preschool child care is available at the schools Monday - Thursday. All-day care is available on Fridays at the YWCA from 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Registration for All-day Friday programming is limited to students who are enrolled in a YWCA school-based preschool before and/or after school child care Mondays - Thursdays.Child care for preschool students attending Hudson Elementary is available either before the morning program or after the afternoon program only.
The YWCA is pleased to offer childcare opportunities on most scheduled days off of school from 6:30am -6:00pm. Any child is welcome to attend Playdays, you do not need to be enrolled in Y's Kids to be able to attend.
Breakfast, lunch and snack provided.
(Children may bring their own if preferred.)
Staff will let you know the swimming days to bring your own swimsuit and towel.
(The YWCA does not provide swimsuits.)
Pre-registration is required. Walk-ins are not allowed. (Your child will not be considered registered until payment is received. Space is limited.)
Registration for Playdays begins on the first business day of the month before scheduled Playdays.
Cost for 2022–2023 Playdays: $40 members/ $72 non-members
Please contact the YWCA for space availability at 319-234-7589.
...more than just childcare
You MUST have a copy of the most recent immunization form, signed by your doctor. ALL children wishing to attend need to have this form.
Children who have NOT yet completed kindergarten-- A copy of the most recent physical exam, dated one year or less from the date of registration and signed by your doctor is required.
REGISTER NOW! Registration begins Monday, March 13th, 2023.
Summer Daze is for children ages 4-12 looking for an exciting summer!
The program runs Monday-Friday, 6:30am - 6:00pm. Sign up for one week or all of them. Dates may change to accommodate snow days and school availability. Summer Daze programming is offered at two locations--the YWCA in downtown Waterloo and Kingsley Elementary School in Waterloo.
Cost: 2023 Prices coming soon!
Save money with a children's membership! ($20/year for children ages 13 and under.)
Pay a $10 deposit for each week your child will attend. Weekly balances are due prior to the week(s) your child will attend. A one time, non-refundable $20 ($40 family maximum) activity/supply fee will be collected at the time of registration.
*The YWCA is committed to including children with disabilities in our fun summer program.
*YWCA Summer Daze is a State of Iowa licensed child care program.
Summer Daze is partially funded by Cedar Valley United Way and the RJ McElroy Trust.
Parents, the decision of which program to enroll your child in for the summer is important. Please feel free to call with any questions or to arrange a meeting and tour of our building. We truly enjoy sharing our summers with area school-age children and would love the chance to share our program with you, Call Rachel Scott or Mindy Sternhagen for more information at (319)234-7589 ext 224 or ext 238.
YWCA Child Care Financial Aid
Reduced pricing is available for Summer Daze based on household income and size. To see if you might qualify, you may print off a copy of our Financial Aid Form, come to the front desk, or contact one of the YWCA Childcare Directors for more information.
Alternate Funding Sources
As a licensed child care program, Summer Daze participates in DHS child care contracts, JPTA, and other alternative funding sources. However, the YWCA must have written authorization from the funding source before service may begin. No child receiving DHS funds can begin the program without notification of approval from the Department of Human Services. First priority for reserved sports will go to 4-year-old children enrolled in Head Start preschool programs and approved for Wrap Around services.
The YWCA is committed to providing high quality, best practice school age care. YWCA Summer Daze is designed to meet the specific needs of elementary age students based on National Afterschool Association Standards for Quality Afterschool programs. All area school age kids are welcome. If your child has special or individual needs, the YWCA is prepared to meet them completely and respectfully.<![if pub11]>